Monday, August 14, 2006

Leonard Tsuguharu Foujita

I chose the artist Tsuguharu Foujita because I absolutely love his work and his lifestyle. First of all, he was born in Tokyo. He later studied and painted in France, which I would love to do one day myself. Here, he learned to apply some French oil techniques into his Japanese-style paintings. He worked with mediums of paint, and even engraved some of his art. I tend to like artists that work in more than one medium, because I think it's wise to experiment with different materials.

Foujita has such a unique style. I love the thinly painted lines he uses, as well as washed out and muted colors. The expressions on the portraits he paints, are always delicate and airy. It's almost as if the drawings are slightly transparent. I admire the way this artist is able to apply the paint so lightly, because I have always had trouble with that.

Leonard isn't that well known, especially since today he is not living. Like many artists throughout history, he just wasn't as famous to the public as other artists during his time.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home